The Snacky Family
Ok, confession time…
My family and I are a bunch of snackers.
With that said, we do try to lean on healthier options for our snacking needs when possible.
However, eating the same thing over and over again can get slightly boring.
While prepackaged dry goods are easy for our portable snack station, sometimes making our own homemade snacks can be a fun option as well!
If you are looking to mix up the snacks you keep on hand for your kiddos or simply need something new to munch on in your downtime, these fun ideas can help!
Check out some of these awesome-looking homemade healthy snacks perfect for the whole family!
Healthy Homemade Salty Snacks
Not going to lie, you guys, I totally have a weakness for salty snacks in the evening hours.
My number one go-to probably being popcorn.
If you love everything from chips and crackers to trail mix and popcorn, you won’t want to miss these healthy salty snacks you can easily make at home and eat on the go!
While I tend to be more of a cracker and popcorn girl, some of these chip options look heavenly, you guys!
Believe it or not, kale is actually one of my favorite leafy greens! From using it as a lettuce replacement on my burgers to tossing it in some homemade soup, I absolutely love this stuff!
If you are a kale lover, or simply want to try and get your kiddos to eat their leafy greens, consider trying one of these awesome kale chip recipes!
- Cheezy kale chips (left) via Real Raw Kitchen
- Cheese-baked kale chips (right) via Magical Life of Fruit
- Kale chips snack mix via Homemade For Elle
Are you a chip lover, but not a kale fan? Try one of these veggie-chip alternatives!
- Air fryer beet chips (top left) via Healing Tomato
- Spicy brussels sprouts chips (top right) via i Heart Vegetables
- Oven-baked sweet potato chips (bottom left) via Christina’s Cucina
- Airfryer sweet potato chips via Budget Delicious
- Air fryer zucchini chips (bottom right) via Make it Skinny Please
- Simple air fryer zucchini chips via Wholesome Yum
- Cauliflower chips via Healthy Recipes 101
Looking for a more traditional chip recipe? Try one of these simple options!
- Baked pita chips (left) via Salt & Sweet
- Homemade pita chips via Chocolate Moosey
- Vegan Doritos (right) via Strength & Sunshine
- Air fryer tortilla chips via Dish by Dish
- Salt & vinegar potato chips via Chocolate Moosey
From eating them plain to topping them with all sorts of goodness. Crackers seriously are the ultimate snack food.
If you have a deep love for crackers but want to cut the yucky ingredients and try making them at home, these recipes are for you!
From gluten-free to vegan, you are sure to find a cracker recipe perfect for any diet.
- Gluten-free wheat thins (top left) via Strength & Sunshine
- Garlic parmesan keto crackers (bottom left) via Peace Love and Low Carb
- Sprouted wheat crackers (top right) via The Home Intent
- Italian tiger nut flour crackers (bottom right) via Strenght & Sunshine
- Vegan lentil buckwheat crackers via Whole New Mom
- Flaxseed crackers via Low Carb Spark
Putting together homemade snack options for your kiddos? Try one of these adorable fish cracker recipes!
- Grain-free fish crackers via Strength & Sunshine
- Gluten-free fish crackers via This Simple Kitchen
If you haven’t stepped into the world of snacking on chickpeas, you are certainly missing out! These babies are a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and much-needed fiber.
Check out some of these simple chickpea recipes!
Try them roasted, sauteed, or air-fried — whatever way you choose, they are sure to pack a flavorful punch!
- Crispy roasted chickpeas (left) via My Mini Chefs
- Sauteed chickpeas (right) via Simple Living Recipes
- Air fryer chickpeas via Little Sunny Kitchen
- Roasted BBQ chickpeas via Somebody Feed Seb
- High-calorie chickpeas via Summer Yule
YES! Trail mix is such a great snack to lean on for your snack station for some simple at-home snacking or for on-the-go munching while hiking with the kiddos, taking a family road trip, or simply spending the day adventuring.
Try one of these easy trail mixes for all your snacking needs.
- Hit the trail mix (above) via Joyful Balance Online
- Nut-free trail mix via Carrots and Cookies
Here it is you guys, my favorite snack of all! Popcorn.
While I tend to lean on the traditional side of things when it comes to this tasty snack — white kernels, lots of butter, and a sprinkle of salt.
These simple recipes look like a great way to mix it up and I can’t wait to try all three of them this summer!
Whether you’re after a cheesy popcorn flavor or something totally different, consider trying one of these popcorn recipes to take your popcorn experience up a notch (or 2).
- Nutritional yeast popcorn (above) via i Heart Vegetables
- Egg yolk popcorn via Greedy Girl Gourmet
- Soy sauce butter popcorn via Greedy Girl Gourmet
Other Salty Homemade Snacks
If salty snacks are your ultimate go-to, I’ve got you covered with a few more tasty options!
From the easiest pretzel revamp ever, to a slower cooker Chex mix that will keep your kiddos asking for more.
Check out these easy salty snack ideas perfect for the munchies!
- Seasoned pretzels (left) via Salted Plains
- Air-fryer pumpkin seeds (right) via Get on My Plate
- Roasted pepitas via My Vegan Minimalist
- Crispy oven-roasted lentils via My Vegan Minimalist
- Crispy butter beans via Daily DIY Life
- Slow cooker Chex mix via The Magical Slow Cooker
- Texas trash via The Urban Life
Sweet Homemade Healthy Snacks
If salty snacks aren’t your thing, I’ve got you.
I too love a good sweet treat every now and again and these certainly won’t disappoint!
While I always suggest leaning on fresh fruit for snacking when possible, these simple fruit snack recipes are perfect for taking on the go and giving us that sweet treat fix we all crave from time to time!
Plus, they are a healthier alternative to anything you find on grocery store shelves these days.
Give your kiddos something extra special to tuck into their school lunch box, enjoy as an afternoon snack, or take on all their summer adventures with these healthy fruit snack recipes for kids!
- Strawberry fruit leather (top left) via Jen Around the World
- Strawberry fruit roll-up via Served from Scratch
- Dehydrated applesauce fruit leather (bottom left) via The Home Intent
- Dehydrated pear roll-up (top right) via Sustain My Cooking Habit
- Apple and cinnamon fruit leather (bottom right) via Rainy Day Mum
- Homemade fruit roll-up via Ruffles & Rainboots
Not going to lie, I’m super excited to try some of these!
Drying fruit has actually become a goal of ours this summer as my middle kiddo is obsessed with dried mango and wants to learn how to make his own at home.
Needless to say, I’m pretty thrilled to lean on these fun options before trying mango in the coming months.
If you have a dried fruit lover in your home, they are going to love these delicious options!
- Dehydrated pineapple (left) via Masala Herb
- Dehydrated peaches (right) via Masala Herb
If pineapple and peaches aren’t your thing, try dehydrating summer’s favorite melon instead.
Or lean on one of these other sweet options!
- Dehydrated watermelon jerky (left) via Peak to Plate
- Air fryer dehydrated strawberries via Two Cloves Kitchen
- Sugar-free candied orange peel (right) via Like Hot Keto
Want a crispier dried fruit option?
Try some of these healthy fruit chips!
If you like to eat, eat, eat apples and bananas, this one is for you!
- Oven-baked apple rings (top left) via Ugly Duckling Bakery
- Banana chips (bottom left) via Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Air fryer banana chips (top right) via Recipes from a Pantry
- Air fryer apple chips (bottom right) via Make it Skinny Please
If you have a kiddo that loves fruit snacks, they likely love gummy candied treats as well.
Trade the traditional store-bought options filled with extra ingredients you can’t read, with these simplistic and healthy fruit gummies for kids!
Simple DIY fruit gummies for the kiddos that don’t lack in flavor or in style.
- Sour lemon gummies (top left) via Peace Love & Low Carb
- Blueberry baobab gummies (bottom left) via Fit Mama Real Food
- Strawberry gummies (top right) via Maple + Mango
- Strawberry orange gummy bears (bottom right) via Little House Living
- Vegan gummy bears via Baked by Clo
Candied Nuts & Popcorn
While fruit is one of my favorite sweet treats, so are candied nuts.
These are so, so good, you guys!
Check out these sweet nutty options perfect for an after-dinner treat!
- Roasted honey dijon pecans (top left) via Pure & Simple Nourishment
- Caramel popcorn (bottom left) via Ruffles & Rainboots
- Honey-roasted cashews (top right) via Caramel & Cashews
*NOTE: While almonds are super great for you in general, this particular recipe is NOT low in sugar. I only chose to include it to give more sweet nutty options and feel that some of the sugar content can likely be replaced with alternative sweeteners to make it a healthier option!
With that said, it looks tasty and could still make a great sweet treat — in moderation of course.
- Slow cooker cinnamon almonds (bottom right) via The Magical Slow Cooker
Other Sweet Healthy Homemade Snacks
If satisfying your sweet tooth is what you’re after and you want to skip the guilt of prepackaged goods filled with additives & chemicals, these might just be the ticket!
Check out some of these healthy alternatives to prepackaged sweet treats!
- Chocolate-covered dates (top left) via Flavours Treat
- Rice Krispie treats (bottom left) via Wholly Tasteful
- Peanut butter rice balls (top right) via The Honour System
- Coconut chocolate bites (bottom right) via My Chef’s Apron
- Peanut butter cup rice cakes via The Foodie Physician
Healthy Homemade Granola Bars
Another summer goal of mine is to create homemade healthy snack bars for my youngest.
This sweet girl could live on granola bars and I’m always trying to sneak more healthy options into her diet.
So, if you have a snack bar-loving kiddo, this one is for you (as much as it’s for me).
SO many awesome options here, you guys!!
From vegan bars and no-bake simplistic bars to energy-boosting treats — I’ve got you covered in the healthy snack bar department!
- Vegan granola bars (top left) via Our Plant-Based World
- Trail mix bars (bottom left) via Bucket List Tummy
- Oatmeal bar (top right) via Healthy Recipes 101
- Vegan granola bars (bottom right) via Delish Knowledge
- Homemade energy bars via Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- No-bake granola bars via The Salt & Sweet
- Oat-free granola bars via Strength & Sunshine
- No-bake granola bars via Health My Lifestyle
- Chocolate baked oats via Get on My Plate
Need a fruitier snack bar option?
These healthy recipes have everything from apricots to blueberries, check them out!
- Apricot and coconut bars (top left) via Its Not Complicated Recipes
- Banana peanut butter oatmeal bars (bottom left) via Flavor the Moments
- Healthy date bars (top right) via Greedy Eats
- No-bake fig bars (bottom right) via Our Plant-Based World
- Banana oat bars via Lynn’s Way of Life
- Blueberry banana oat bars via Ann’s Entitled Life
If not of the above snack bars struck your fancy, consider giving one of these delicious options a try instead!
- Peanut butter coconut bars via Fit Mama Real Food
- Almond peanut butter bars via Chef’s Pencil
- Pecan pie Lara bars via The Honour System
- Vanilla coconut granola clusters via Maple + Mango
Healthy Homemade Protein Bars
While many of the other snack bars I’ve shared so far have their own natural sources of protein, these healthy homemade bars are even more protein packed!
Each one of these recipes includes the use of protein powder.
Whether it’s for after a long day at school, after an intense workout, or used as a meal replacement, these homemade protein bars are perfect for all ages!
- Keto protein bars (top left) via Low Carb Spark
- Homemade protein bars (bottom left) via Begin with Balance
- Oatmeal raisin protein bars (top right) via The Clean Eating Couple
- No-bake chocolate protein bars (bottom right) via Clean Plate Mama
- Chocolate protein baked oats via Magical Life of Fruit
Healthy Homemade Energy Balls
If full snack bars aren’t your thing, creating miniature snack bites and energy balls can be a more simplistic option!
Not going to lie, I had a hard time narrowing this list down, you guys!
So many wonderful & unique healthy snack ball options.
Lean on the side of simplicity with these straightforward energy ball recipes!
- Date nut energy balls with cranberries (left) via Healthy Life Trainer
- Date nut energy balls with cinnamon via Profusion Cury
- Sesame seed date balls via Pavani’s Kitchen
- No bake energy bites (right) via Clan Kitchen
- Oat energy balls via Simply Scrumptious Eats
Bliss Snack Balls
Just in case you want to take your snack game up a notch.
Try one of these tasty bliss ball recipes!
From the ever-so-important chocolate to an awesome treat with a turmeric twist, these bliss ball recipes are both healthy and delicious!
- Chocolate bliss balls (top left) via Wholly Tasteful
- Oatmeal bliss balls (bottom left) via Through the Fibro Fog
- Goldenberry turmeric bliss balls (bottom right) via The All Natural Vegan
- Orange oatmeal bliss balls (top right) via Kristy’s Kitchen
- Bliss balls via End of the Fork
Chocolate Snack Balls
This right here is the real deal, you guys!
Chocolate is not only tasty, but dark chocolate actually has some incredible health benefits.
Check out these mouth-watering chocolate options!
From mint chocolate to chocolate peanut butter, I’ve got you covered for all your chocolate needs!
- Mint chocolate sunflower bites via Strength & Sunshine
- Chocolate coconut peanut butter balls (left) via Clean Plate Mama
- Date chocolate energy balls via Green Bowl 2 Soul
- Dark chocolate energy balls via My Mini Chefs
- Chocolate hazelnut energy balls (right) via Fit Mama Real Food
Peanut Butter Snack Balls
If there is one thing I love as much as I love chocolate, it’s peanut butter — and these peanut buttery snack bites look so good, you guys!
Savor a little peanut buttery goodness with these peanut butter snack ideas! Yum!
- Peanut butter and jelly energy balls (left) via Two Healthy Kitchens
- Peanut butter oat balls via (right) Savor the Spoonful
- Chocolate & peanut butter energy balls via Nourish Nutrition Blog
- Chocolate peanut butter balls via Flavours Treat
Need a peanut butter alternative? Try one of these sweet options.
- Almond butter energy balls via Piping Pot Curry
- Sun butter energy balls via The Dizzy Cook
Other Healthy Homemade Snack Bites
If you are on the lookout for something a little less traditional, these sweet snack ball recipes will be right up your alley!
From caramel and coconut to fruit and veggies.
So many tasty options, you guys!
Make a delicious sweet treat for your next adventure or party with one of these caramel or coconutty options!
- Caramel coconut cookies via (left) Allergy Free Alaska
- Salted caramel bliss balls via (right) Its Not Complicated Recipes
- Coconut date balls via Healy Eats Real
- Coconut bites via Maria Ushakova
Want something to satisfy your fruit & nut needs? Try one of these tasty snack bite recipes!
- Cherry almond date balls (left) via The All Natural Vegan
- Apricot pistachio balls (right) via Little Nomads Recipes
- Lemon seed snack bites via Mix in Mamas
- Dry fruit balls via Cook with Kushi
- Banana oat bites via Pavani’s Kitchen
- Cranberry pecan energy bites via Homemade for Elle
Last, but certainly not least, these are some of the most unique snack options of all!
- Carrot cake energy balls (left) via Clean Plate Mama
- Sesame energy balls (right) via Through the Fibro Fog
- Turmeric energy balls via Delicious Nutritious Food
- Almond flour cookie dough balls via Profusion Curry
Healthy Homemade Protein Snack Balls
While leaning on snack bites to get your sweet tooth fix is great and all, sometimes it’s good to add a little extra protein in as well!
All of these snack bites & energy balls include added protein powder.
From a fantastic option made with pumpkin to the summery goodness of pineapple! These protein balls are perfect for every season.
- Pumpkin protein balls (left) via Balance with Jess
- Cookie dough protein bites (right) via Fit as a Mama Bear
- Pineapple energy bites via Sorey Fitness
Other Healthy Homemade Protein Snacks
Looking for another snacky way to provide a little extra protein in your diet?
Check out these awesome jerky recipes!
Perfect for hitting the trails or hitting the gym, these jerky recipes provide an added protein punch to any activity!
- Ground beef jerky (left) via Allergy-Free Alaska
- Smoked turkey jerky (right) via What’s Smokin’
*NOTE: While mushroom jerky isn’t necessarily a protein-power snack, it is a very healthy alternative to store-bought foods and I definitely wanted to add it to this mega list of healthy homemade snacks! With that said, I thought this was the best place to share this hidden treasure.
Check it out below!
- Mushroom jerky via Jerkyholic
Love this list of healthy homemade snacks for kids, families, and everyone in between? Share it on social media today!